I haven't been blogging on Blankbaby like I know I should! I think I've said this before, but I like to think of myself as something of an antisocial hermit with few friends and even less reason to actually... you know... go outside. Despite this crazy thought of mine, I often find myself sallying forth from my home, and the last few weeks have found me out and about more than usual (I know I have a few emails to reply to, I promise I haven't forgotten! I also have about 100 more TUAW applications to read, and American Pastoral to finish, as well as the last episode in Fork You's first season to edit. You know, all of this would be much easier if I didn't have a full time job. Sadly, if I didn't have a full time job eating and having a home would become much harder, so I think I'll stick with the job. Plus I like my job well enough, and I totally heart my boss [Hi, Barry!].).
Anyway, here are some random Scott thoughts for you to savor:
- One sound I hate above all others is the slapping that accompanies people wearing flip flop like shoes. It drives me mad, and when I am Emperor of the world I will outlaw those shoes.
- I have often spoke of my love for Savage Chickens. Check out this comic, in which Savage Chickens tackles a question I often ponder, 'What would you like on your tombstone?' 'I'm standing behind you,' is my favorite.
- You should check out this nice post about Independents Hall, the fantastic co-working space that has been Alex's cause for longer than I have known him. Now that it is a reality one can actually have a conversation with Alex in which he doesn't mention co-working in every other sentence (I kid because I love, and because it is true). Oh, and make sure to scroll down to the end of the article because I make a cameo appearance in a photo. My love of the camera means that I often end up in media coverage of stuff that my cool (and much smarter than me) friends are doing. I'm a hanger on!
- I have posted some pictures to Flickr. First my day at the West Chester Restaurant Fest and then some pictures I took walking around Philly.
Now, I'm not one to toot my own horn (often) but I just checked out the picture I posted from the gym, and I have to say I think I look pretty good. Granted I had just run a little over 2 miles, and I wasn't all that happy about it... but still I've come a long way from here.
I'm back in Philly all safe and sound!
I posted this pic of myself to Flickr, and someone suggested I look like Elton John in it! And here I thought it was a very good picture of me. What say you, Blankbaby readers?
As you may recall, I am in San Francisco at the moment (yes, I got here safe and sound so worry not!). I posted earlier about how I had visited San Francisco many times and yet never managed to get to Alcatraz. This trip I made sure I had time to visit The Rock, and here are the pictures to prove it.
This isn't the first old prison I have visited, I do live pretty close to Eastern State Penitentiary (if you live near Philly and you haven't been to Eastern State you really owe it to yourself to visit. Here are the pictures I took at ESP.). Both places seem to embrace the idea of stabilizing not restoring. Alcatraz seems to be doing alright for its age, but the weather and the birds have not been kind.
Overall, I had a good couple of hours over there and I would recommend it to anyone.
Oh, and I also snapped some pics of VMWorld (which is the reason why I am here in the first place).
VMWorld, which is VMware's gigantic conference (Joe tells me 10,000 nerds will be there). I'll be there for work, but I won't be overwhelmed with having to try and see everything, talk to everyone, and write about. That means I will:
- Be able to learn stuff
- Be able to actually see some of SF
I've been to San Francisco 5 or 6 times, and I have yet to set foot on Alcatraz, which is one of the things that I have always wanted to do (I would also like to meet the MythBusters, but something tells me that won't happen). I'm flying into SFO tomorrow at 10am (that's when my flight gets in) and I will be on a ferry making my way to Alcatraz at 3:20pm. Can you tell that I'm excited? I love doing crap like this, and I am going to have my super cool camera along with me (and my iPhone.. I'm sure I'll be posting some pictures to the blog from time to time).
So, Blankbaby readers, what else should I do while I am in SF? Oh, and if anyone will be out there let me know and we can meet up (though I doubt anyone in SF reads Blankbaby).